Pages

Saturday 3 August 2019

My holiday to Samoa

My holiday to Samoa

Monday July 1

We left the house at 12:30 PM and headed to Kerkeri airport. We waited until 2:00 PM at the new terminal. As usual we were the first ones as always. Our plane came at 3:00 PM and then the trip to the International terminal started.When we arrived at the airport we walked through the doors and there were thousands of people just sitting waiting for their plane.


We walked from the Domestic terminal to the International terminal,when we got to the International terminal we stayed at the Novotel Hotel for a night. My cousin came over and we went to the food court in the airport. There were more people in the International terminal then the Domestic terminal.

The next day we woke up and walked straight to the International terminal where we went to get our boarding passes. We had to go through security, then we began our journey to our gate where we had a long wait but then we were on our plane. I have not been on a plane since Christmas last year so looking at the plane was crazy and it was massive.The flight was not long like going to the Philippines. Philippines  trip is 18 hours! We were lucky going to Samoa the flight was only 3 and a half hours, it was sunny, I saw a lot of cool stuff like the ocean and clouds.

When we landed at the airport it was quite big. When we got our bags we went through security. After security we stepped out of the building and without the AC if hit like a punch and was boiling hot but then not long after I was fine.

When we came to our resort I just realized that this is where the movie Return to Paradise was filmed.  It is a very popular movie, it is older than my dad! and he is turning 57 this year. On July 23 the ashes of the second most important actor in the movie is getting her  ashes buried here on this beach and maybe Hollywood stars might come?

On the first night we were greeted by Samoan singers that are relatives to the people who own the hotel,they had loud voices it was amazing.

  The second night we were amazed by seeing world champion fire dancers. But it turns out the staff here get top ten in the fire dancing, and an 8 year old did something  I could never do with fire on a stick, his name was Simote.

One the third day we went to 3 waterfalls, 2 were as big as the Sky Tower and the other one was small. My favorite trip was when we went to TO LE SUA the Samoan ocean trench. There is a big staircase that leads to 150 feet down the trench. There was a ladder that was about 25 feet long and led us down to the trench, a trench is a giant hole with water at the bottom. The ocean current was strong as a rip, you had to hold on to a rope to keep still.

On the fourth day it was just hanging out with my new friends, 3 from Auckland and 1 from Australia, they were all grandsons of the owners of the resort. We were just chilling at the pool, playing on the pool table and having fun all and all.

 Then the pacific games was on and we watched the sevens  Rugby, Samoa beat an island that we were not familiar with, the score was 85-0 but that was the last game we stayed for.

After the sevens rugby we went to a place called the Sliding rocks,the rocks were so slippery they made it into a slide, but at that time we got there it was shallow so we left.

 The next couple of weeks it was pretty much the same, dad went to auto parts shops to go check on future business, and I was practicing for my performance. I was practicing for the Fia Fia I'm pretty sure Fia Fia means dance I think. I really wanted to do the fire dance, In fact I did get to do it, I burnt my fingers but after a few hours my fingers started to get back to normal. The fire dance was so cool I want to do it again when we go back. Technically I was not allowed to do the fire dance until 1 year of training but 3 weeks was all I got.

On Wednesday mid day we went to my trainers house. He was the guy who trained me for the dancing and a little bit with fire dancing work. We did not expect to be fed but were surprised when we did. We had chicken, taro, Samoan noodles, and the local Samoan tea which is basically water with chocolate  in it, which was actually quite good. That evening I did the fire dance and the local Samoan dance, it was the best night ever until I realized that we were going back to NZ tomorrow. I was so depressed but when my dad told me we might go back next year maybe January that lifted my spirits somewhat higher. But I made so many friends including  the staff and my trainer Lomitusi. But I had to move on and put the tears back. It was hard even now I am still sad, but knowing that I'm going back is much better for me.

We stayed Thursday night at the Jet Park Hotel in Auckland.Their we met the three boys and their parents from Samoa, they live in Auckland. My cousin was there and the four of us spent some time catching up. When I looked at the time it was almost midnight so we all said our goodbyes and then I went to bed.

Woke up in the morning and took a plane to Kerikeri drove back home and got back to my normal life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment